Teach your dog to leave things they shouldn’t have…
The Leave It! command what is it for?
- Once learned your dog will understand that certain things are not allowed
- Examples being eating things to make them ill, stealing items of yours, rolling in fox poo & chasing (cats, squirrels, sheep, cars)
How do I start to teach this?
- Clip on your dogs lead and find something they really like such a toy, treats or something of yours
- Place the item on the floor and walk your dog past
- Don’t let them grab or eat the item just have a look
- Next, decide what command you want to use
- Often Leave It! is used but if that isn’t working for you you can use, No!, Oi!, Ah! Ah! or anything that gets their attention
- Walk your dog past the item again and when they go to get it say your command
- If your dog looks up and away from the item say good boy/good girl and offer a treat
- This may take a few goes if your dog really wants the item!
- TIP: if your dog is ignoring you try changing your voice – sometimes a change in tone will work, lower or sharper. Remember you may need this command in an emergency
My dog is now leaving the items I’m using:
- If your dog is starting to leave the items you are asking them to leave then its time to find more interesting things, cheese or ham etc